A cake for sundays
Sunday is always a difficult day! It’s the last works on the farm, the planning of what has to be done at home, in Marvão, in the office. But I like to cherish Sundays, and there are always two hours that I give myself to do the things I enjoy the most, reading or strolling in the garden or cooking. This cake is perfect for those moments, and it goes great with tea, cold weather and a good book (in this case The Art of Mindful Gardening)!
This cake is delicious, and it is made with an unexpected ingredient so maybe some of you will twist your noses, but trust me it is reaaallly good! I had already eaten the savory version, but I found a sweet version in Kitchn, and decided to try it! I made some slight changes tweaking it to my personal taste. You can make it using an english cake pan as I did or a muffin pan and serve as scones.
Inspired by Kitchn’s Zucchini Bread
INGREDIENTES FOR 2 ENGLISH CAKE PANS (15.5 CM BY 8.5 CM)
- 1 1/2 large zucchinis
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg tea
- 1 teaspoon of salt tea
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of organic extra-virgin olive oil Azeitona Verde
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest tea
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 200 ° C.
- Cut the stem, peel and grate the courgettes. Put the grated zucchini in a clean tea towel and squeeze as much as possible to remove all the water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix.
- In another bowl mix the eggs, brown sugar, olive oil, lemon zest and vanilla essence.
- Add the grated zucchini to bowl with the dry ingredients and mix. Pour the liquid and mix gently until there is no more visible flour. Line the two pans with parchment paper and divide the dough between them.
- Bake the bread for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The finished bread should have a brown color. Let them cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Eat warm with or without butter accompanied by a good tea. de Courgette