An ode to pomegranate
In portuguese pomegranate read backwards is love. And we can assure you there is only but love for this fruit. It reminds us of Arabian nights and ancient middle eastern cultures, and since they abound this time of year we had fun this weekend creating desserts with it. We made two versions, a more decadent one and a lighter version! Both are easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Tell us which one you prefer!
YOGURT AND POMEGRANATE TART (DECADENT VERSION)
INGREDIENTS 2 PIES OF 12 CM DIAMETER
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 200g chocolate cookies (shortcake type)
- 200g Greek yogurt (choose a thicker version, not creamy)
- Seeds of 1 medium pomegranate
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar tea
- 1 1/2 teaspoon water soup
- Juice of 1 medium pomegranate
- Shavings of one square of dark chocolate (optional)
- For the base crush the biscuits in a food processor. In a bowl add the crushed biscuits with the melted butter and mix well. Line the bottom of two pans with the base mixture with a thickness of about 2 cm. Press and place in the freezer.
- Meanwhile peel a pomegranate, and remove all the seeds and set aside. Then use another pomegranate for the juice, to do this just peel the top and press down on the seeds using your thumbs so that the juices come out, pour into a glass. Then sieve it and keep it.
- Take the pan from the freezer and add the yogurt to both pans. Put back in the freezer while preparing the sauce.
- Bring to a boil the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved and is of a yellow tone. Add the juice of pomegranate and let reduce for eight minutes or until it is quite thick. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the freezer, take the tart out of the pan and place them on the plate which they will be served in, add the pomegranate seeds to the top of the tart and drizzle with pomegranate syrup, to finalize put some dark chocolate shavings on top. Serve immediately. If you are not serving immediately, we suggest that you only assemble the dessert at the moment and otherwise leave it in the pans in the refrigerator.
POMEGRANATE YOGHURT (LIGHT VERSION)
The ingredients are the same from the recipe above but without the cookie base (in fact you may want to do this with what is left from the recipe above).
In small shot glasses add the yogurt,top with the pomegranate seeds, drizzle the syrup and finish with dark chocolate shavings (optional). You can store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
So which one is your favorite?